Saturday, September 1, 2012

RS1: How to be a Genius

Juliann Sweeney
Professor Engel
EC-202-E
September 1, 2012

RS1-"How to be a Genius" by David Dobbs-Reaction

            In his article, "How to be a Genius", David Dobbs writes about what he feels takes a person from being considered ordinary to a genius.  He argues in his article that it is not just genetics that make a person extremely talented or gifted, but rather it is hard work, determination, and drive that make them a true genius. After reading his article, I agree with Dobbs in that the emphasis on hard work and determination is really what makes a genius, a genius.

            Dobbs in this article starts off with a quote from Thomas Edison saying, "Genius is 99 percent perspiration."  Dobbs then adds that it is really, "One percent inspiration, 29 percent good instruction and encouragement, and 70 percent perspiration."  I could not agree more with these men.  An example in my life is the comparable talent that my sister and I have when it comes to playing softball.  I have been playing since I was 5, but I started off not as interested in the sport.  My little sister on the other hand started off extremely interested in the sport.  I work hard at practices and I am dedicated when I am playing but I do not practice as much as my sister does.  At the age of thirteen she practices four or five times a week and is pitching a 58 mph fastball, something that is rare coming from a thirteen year old.  It was not genetics that slipped and gave my sister more of the softball genes than I got; it is her hard work and passion for the game that makes her more talented and gifted than I ever was at her age.  Had I put in the time and effort that she does I could have been as talented as she is now, but I chose not to.

            Dobbs said in his article, "The elite are elite partly because they have some genetic gifts- for learning and hand eye coordination for instance- but the very best rise because they take great pains to maximize that gift."  At just thirteen, my sister dreams of going to college and playing softball for a division one team.  She works her hardest at every practice, hitting lesson, and pitching lesson to attain that goal; sacrificing some other things that she may want to be doing as well.  Dobbs also says that having someone to mentor you and motivate you is very important as well if you want to be a genius.  I like to think of myself as one of my sister's mentors.  Being six years younger than me, she would always come to my softball games and see me play, and I like to think that watching me encouraged her to play as well.  I know for a fact that when my sister needs help with something she will turn to me or my dad for help and that if we weren't there to guide her along her softball "career", she would not be the same athlete she is today. 

            Dobbs stresses in his article that it is not genetics that makes a genius but it is rather hard work, determination, and help that make a genius.  My sister may not be the next Jenny Finch, or a softball legend, but it is the hard work and love for the sport that makes her as good as she is. More so than just her talent and physical attributes for the sport.  After reading this article it is very clear to me as to why this was our first assignment for the class. The lesson was to teach ourselves that A's aren't just going to be handed out in this class. We are going to have to push ourselves and work for them to the best of our abilities in order to obtain the grade that we desire.  I know that I just want A's, and I know that I am going to have to push myself and work for it, but I can get help and that I am not alone on this journey of Economics. Dobbs said, "Geniuses are made, not born".  I know that I am not going to be the next master of Economics by the end of the semester, but I do plan on working my hardest and getting the most out of this class as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment